Looking for the appropriate printing device that can serve your 3D printing needs? Many people are faced with the decision of either getting a 3D printer or buying a 3D pen. Here is a guide on the 3D printing products you have:
A 3D printer is a computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) device that is capable of making three dimensional solid objects from a digital file. In other words, they make it possible for you to produce complex shapes using less material than traditional manufacturing methods. Some of its unique features include:
- Power supply units: The Power Supply Unit (PSU) supplies power to the entire 3D printer. Because high-temperature prints can be demanding, it’s critical that PSUs are able to handle the demands.
- User interface: Unlike older models, newer 3D printers have an LCD user interface so they can work as a standalone machine. With the UI, you can check and adjust the machine parameters as well as carry out other functions.
- Cooling fan: The cooling fan plays a crucial role as it helps cool the entire printer. Some printers use only one fan while others can use up to 3.
In the beginning, there were only 3D printers but technology has gotten better over the years, leading to the invention of 3D pens. As the name suggests, a 3D pen looks very much like a normal pen but it is able to print in 3 dimensions. In other words, you can simply draw figures and let them stand up on their own – without the aid of any software, without a paper to print them on and without using any machine. 3D pens make it possible to create 3D objects out of plastic and they can also be used to add raised decorative designs to every day printed objects. 3D pens have the following unique features:
- Variety of colors: Most 3D pens come packed with over a dozen colors
- Temperature tuning: Because 3D pens operate by the heat factor, most 3D pens are adjustable to allow for optimal fine-tuning.
- Display: 3D pens also feature a screen that makes it possible to monitor the temperature of materials to help you achieve a variety of effects.
- Batteries: The 3D pens work with batteries, which can last for a couple of hours depending on the model.
The filament is one of the essential 3D printing materials as you cannot make any three dimensional objects without it. It is the thermoplastic feedstock for fused deposition modeling 3D printers. Although they are referred to as 3D printer plastic, they actually come in different types and sizes. For instance, there are metal, nylon, sandstone, magnet, carbon fiber and even flow in the dark 3D materials that can equally service the same purpose. There are generally two materials used to make 3D printing namely: PLA and ABS. Thankfully, most 3D pens use the same filaments as desktop 3D printer.
While a 3D pen is a great option for those who are new to the world of 3D printing but it might not be the best choice if you have lots of work to do. On the flip side, a 3D printer is more demanding but it makes it possible for you take on huge printing projects.